Tuesday, May 7, 2013

We're not racists


A while back I had the opportunity to mingle around with a group of International friends in an exchange program and on the first day we had this sort of orientation thing going on where every one was introducing themselves to each other

When it got to my turn, I introduced myself as "BLA BLA BLA, 30 years of age, and I'm chinese".

Puzzled, this friendly Indonesian asked " Are you from Taiwan? China or Hong Kong?"

I answered " No, I'm a chinese in Malaysia"

I thought it was nothing but that night i went back and thought to myself, The Filipino chinese guy before me introduced himself as a Filipino, the Indonesian Chinese introduced herself as Indonesian, but when it got to my turn, I answered that " I am chinese"

Doesn't it occur to you that something is amiss here?

Let me tell you this, our social divide between different races in Malaysia is so strong that subconsciously you say you are your own race instead of your nationality.Why did this happen?

The answer is simple:

We let our leaders play the racism card. It was what we were taught, we grew up to believe and what we practice and this issue must be corrected.

From that day onwards, I told everyone that i met that I am a Malaysian. I will not let racism get the best of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment